The Guardians of Ga’Hoole: The Capture by Kathryn Lasky
1. Why do you think Kludd, Soren’s brother, pushes him out of their nest?
2. Why do the owls at St. Aegolius Academy of Orphaned Owls forbid asking questions?
3. Who was your favorite character in the story? Why?
4. What do you think would happen if people weren’t allowed to ask questions?
5. Why don’t the owlets at St. Aggies fly?
6. What negative results occur to the owls if they are caught asking questions?
7. What is moonblinking?
8. What are some of the techniques the leaders at St. Aggie’s use to confuse and brainwash the young owlets?
9. Why do the leaders at St. Aggie’s use moonblinking on the owlets?
10. How do Soren and Gylfie distract each other from getting moonblinked?
11. How does moonblinking erase individuality?
12. Do you see examples of “moonblinking” and its consequences in your school, country or the world?
13. What happened to Soren in the Pelletorium when he asked “what are flecks?” What do you think flecks are?
14. Although this book is fictional, there is a lot of factual information about owls. Did you learn anything new about owls?
15. Why do you think Soren and Gylfie’s pit guardians like being called “Auntie” and “Unk?” Why do you think Auntie and Unk are nicer than the other head owls at St. Aggie’s?
16. How do Soren and Gylfie escape St. Aggie’s? What does Grimble stress to them before they can fly?
17. Did you see the movie and did you like the movie as much as the book or better than the book?
18. Did you enjoy the book? Will you read others in the Guardians of Ga’Hoole series?
19. Why is it important to hear and repeat stories from the past? How did these tales teach and encourage Soren and Gylfie?
20. Do you believe Soren’s dad, that sometimes even legends that aren’t true can make us become better people with better understanding. Give an example.
21. What stories from your parents, ancestors, American history, the Bible or other sources have inspired you? Why?
22. Grimble and Hortense risked their lives and eventually died to help Soren and Gylfie. Why do you think they did that? Why didn’t they didn’t escape themselves?
23. Gylfie’s feathers were in and she was ready to fly before Soren. Why did she wait for him and risk her chances of escape until his feathers were fully in?